Call Now: 01706 813393


Get in touch on WhatsApp

Text us on 07497 156922

Login -   View Cart  Checkout
During the busy periods stock levels cannot be guaranteed, if you wish to get an estimate on delivery please text or email

Bowland Stoves FAQ


While we are available via email (, online chat and telephone (01706 813393) we find that many people tend to have similar questions. We have therefore created our frequently asked questions page which will give you information on some of the most common issues and questions. If you need further information or perhaps your query is not covered on the frequently asked questions page please feel free to contact us by telephone during opening hours or email/online chat 24/7 and we will come back to you as soon as possible.

What do I put on top of the flue?

Normally a rain cap is all you need as this prevents rain and snow going down the flue and flooding your stove. It also stops birds and other wildlife nesting in your flue. If you are experiencing problems with your flue you may need a specialist cowl but the problem will need to be diagnosed properly first.

Can I burn softwood and pallets etc?

Yes you can burn softwood and pallets as long as the wood has not been treated with preservatives.

How often should I sweep my chimney?

You should sweep your chimney at least once a year using a qualified chimney sweep.

Who can install my stove?

Your stove should be fitted by a HETAS registered engineerfitted by a HETAS registered engineer who can “self-certify” that the stove is fitted to the latest required building standards. If your stove can be installed by a competent person but the installation would need to be signed off by the building control officer from your local authority – there would be a charge for this.

Which stoves can be used in a smokeless zone?

Defra stoves are approved for use anywhere in the UK and are the only ones allowed in smokeless zones.

Which is best, top or rear flue exit?

This will depend on where the stove is being fitted but pointers to consider are:-
Top flue:
You can sweep the chimney through the stove
Keeps the stove back in the hearth giving you more space
Rear Flue:
Will need a sweeping access panel in the flue pipe
It will have a debris trap below (stops debris falling into the stove and impacting performance)
Pushes the stove further into the room - allowing the stove heat to be distributed more effectively.

Can stoves burn overnight?

The simple answer is yes. To achieve this you should load the stove about an hour before you intend to leave it and let the logs burn normally. After the logs have calmed down (flames all gone) and they are just charcoal embers, shut down the stove to its lowest setting and leave it to burn all-night. The liner should conform to BS EN 1443 and be suitable for the type of fuel you wish to burn.

What size stove do I need?

The size of stove you need is dependent on the size of the room and how well insulated that space is. We have a Kilowatt calculator you can use here.

Can I mix wood and coal?

No, multi-fuel stoves can burn either wood or manufactured smokeless coal (with a low petroleum content). The stove air flow settings vary for each type of fuel.

What fuel can I burn?

Most of the multi-fuel stoves available today are designed to burn wood with a moisture content of not more than 20%, manufactured smokeless coal or briquettes. Obviously a wood burning stove should only be used with wood fuel.

What does multi-fuel mean?

Multi-fuel means that your stove is capable of burning either wood or manufactured smokeless coal but NOT together at the same time.

How much will it all cost?

Buying a wood burning stove is not the only cost, if your flue is unlined it will need lining with a flue that is the same diameter as the flue spigot on the stove, we recommend that your stove is fitted by a HETAS registered engineer who can “self-certify” that the stove is fitted to the latest required building standards. Please email or call us for details of stove installation costs.

How much space will I need around the stove?

Each manufacturer will supply minimum clearance measurements for both non-combustible and combustible surfaces.

Do I need an air vent in my room?

This will depend in most cases on when your house was built and the kW output of the stove. If your house was built prior to 2008 ventilation is not required for a stove up to 5kW output. Over that 550 mm2 is needed for every kW i.e. a 7kW stove needs 2 x 550 mm2. For a house built after 2008 550 mm2 is required for EVERY kW output. We strongly recommending call us to discuss your individual situation.

Do I need to line my flue?

Your flue may have a suitable liner, but if your flue is unlined and rectangular you do need to line your flue. Modern high efficiency stoves (70%+ efficiency) will only work to their maximum efficiency and an unlined flue can create problems.

Should I buy a Wood Burning or Multi Fuel Stove?

If you are going to be burning just wood then you should look for a wood burning only model. A multi fuel stove will burn wood and solid fuel (not at the same time) however a wood burning stove is more efficient if just burning wood.

What is the difference between a Wood Burning and Multi Fuel Stove?

In reality the stoves are exactly the same except for the area on which the fuel sits. A wood burning stove does not have a grate (the fuel rests on either a tray or on the base fire bricks). Multi fuel stoves include a grate system

Can I burn wood on a Multi Fuel Stove?

Yes, but it is not as economical as a dedicated wood burning.

What fuel can I burn on my stove?

Well-seasoned wood with moisture content below 20%, or smokeless solid fuel such as Anthracite, are the best types of fuel. A list of approved fuels can be found on the Solid Fuels Association website (

I need to replace the rope seals on my stove, what diameter do you use?

The diameter of the rope seal will depend upon the stove and advice should be available with the product. Please call us to discuss you requirements as we have an array of different diameter rope seals.

Where can I buy spares for my stove?

We stock stove spares from all of the major stove manufacturers and what we don’t have in stock we can have delivered within 48 hours. We stock only officially branded parts which ensures quality, value for money and durability. We can advise you on any spare part issues you may have.

Do I need a chimney/ flue liner?

Your existing chimney will need to be inspected by a qualified installer to see whether a liner is required.

My stove is making an unexpected noise

Clicking: The clicking noise made by some stoves is due to the different gauge of metals used in construction expanding and contracting at different rates. This is nothing to worry about.
Whistling: This is quite common on stoves and is a result of the air needed for combustion entering the stove through restricted airways and across sharp or angular edges. This is easily resolved with the installation of a flue dampener or flue stabiliser.

What distance should my stove be from a combustible material?

The distance between the stove and any combustible material is dependent on the kW heat output, size and the construction of each stove. Stove manufacturers will provide this information with their stoves. Please call is if you are in any doubt.

Is my chimney, flue or fireplace suitable for a stove installation?

Many factors play a role in determining whether a chimney, flue or fireplace is in a suitable condition for the installation of a stove. It is therefore recommend that you have a registered competent person, such as those registered as HETAS engineers, inspect the chimney for detailed guidance.